Zankou Chicken is looking for a highly talented, creative, and results-oriented Human Resources Generalist to join our HR team! You will thrive as you make lasting changes and a positive impact and help us bring the “WOW” experience to our team! We’re not only here to serve food, we’re here to bring people together.
What happens after you join our team?
- First, we'll share our vision with you. This is where you'll learn our goals and strategies, identify operational and organizational opportunities, and envision how you and your team can help build the big picture.
- Second, you will connect the dots. You'll visit a few of our locations and meet the awesome teams that make Zankou not only what it is today, but what it will be tomorrow.
- After weeks of learning our standards and aligning yourself with our culture, you will begin to improve Zankou and take it to the next level. At Zankou, we don’t meet the status quo. We break through it via continuous improvement.
Summary: The HR Generalist is responsible for supporting day-to-day HR duties that includes, but is not limited to, handling employee relations, leaves, ADA/FEHA, payroll, timekeeping, benefit administration, compensation, performance evaluation programs, succession planning, HR trainings, onboarding, compliance, HR audits and surveys.
Essential Job Functions
- Infuses cultural values throughout the organization and positive workforce practices in collaboration with operation leaders
- Supports with all matters pertaining to employee relations to foster positive relationships and effective communications
- Investigates and follows through with Team Member (TM) complaints
- Administration of Company benefits includes tracking for ACA compliance, sending COBRA packages and providing general support to any benefit inquiries that arise
- Assists in designation and administration of leaves and ADA/FEHA cases
- Assists in the development and enforcement of all Company policies, procedures and best practices
- Responds to EDD related matters
- Conducts exit surveys
- Assists with strategies for recruiting, orientation, talent retention and trainings
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of TM work results by training managers to coach and correct TMs
- Collaborates with other HR and organizational leaders in the ongoing development and implementation of people and talent initiatives that are aligned with the overall mission and vision of the organization
- Aids to conduct field visits, audits, trainings and compliance
- Payroll processing, conducting wage and hour audits, and assisting with compensation and benefit programs
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement
- Other duties as assigned
- *Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Ethical Practice
- Cultural Awareness
- General HR Expertise
Skills & Abilities
- Believes in and is able to demonstrate and teach Zankou’s Mission, Core Values, and Culture
- Comprehensive knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations pertaining to employment (i.e., discrimination and harassment, wage and hour, etc.)
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office 365 and experience in converting hard copy files into more efficient systems, including HRIS system and other computer software
- Ability to prepare investigation reports and related written documentation
- Strong communication, listening, presentation, writing, and assessment skills
- Ability to work effectively with Operations leadership, providing guidance on company policies and practices related to associate relations
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined. Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- The ability to go the extra mile when needed; an ambitious drive and understanding that great things take time, energy, and persistent hard and smart work.
- Confidence and ability to influence others, facilitate processes, and coach/advise managers
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required
- 1-3 years of experience in similar role within restaurant, retail, or hospitality environment preferred
- Associate Degree in HR, Business, Communications, or another related field preferred
- PHR preferred but not required
- Ability to work extensively in an office environment, however, may be required to occasionally travel. Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Physical requirements include moving, ascending and descending stairs
- May be in a stationary position for long periods of time up to 8 hours a day
- Use Computer and keyboard up to 8 hours a day
- Occasional lifting, bending, stooping up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to communicate in the English language
PRIMARY LOCATION – Vernon, CA
Zankou Enterprises, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Zankou Chicken
For over 50 years, Zankou Chicken has provided Southern California with fresh, high quality, Mediterranean food. Since the very first day our doors opened, it has been our promise to maintain this standard. We have never (and will never) use canned food, freezers, microwave ovens, preservatives, or artificial ingredients. Our legendary chicken is all natural and delivered to us daily. Our mouth-watering beef is 100% USDA Choice. Even our bread is baked hot and fresh every morning. We made this promise of quality back in 1962, and vow to keep it for each and every one of our amazing customers.
We operate 9 locations in Los Angeles with plans for more growth. As we continue to grow we are always on the lookout for top talent to join our amazing team—in both our restaurant team and our corporate office!
What are they saying about Zankou?
• "Best chicken in town at any price." - Los Angeles Times
• "It is a legend." - New York Times
• "Angeleno's Love Affair with this Armenian chain goes back decades." - Los Angeles Magazine
• "11 LA Chains The Rest of the Country Desperately Needs" - Thrillist
We have a recently built a world class campus in Vernon supporting our growing number of restaurants. This state of the art campus fosters a fun and productive learning environment for our production and corporate staff. We aspire to be a leading hospitality employer by offering exciting and rewarding careers to all of our employees!
A quick look at some of our perks and benefits:
• Highly competitive pay
• Free quality meal for every shift
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance
• Paid vacation
• Opportunities for growth and a fun working environment!
Join us and kickstart your career with the Zankou team today!
Company Website: zankouchicken.com
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)